Skip to main content

Book Review: Amar Chitra Katha

A chance telephone conversation with a friend of my childhood days reminded me of this timeless classic I had forgotten about... Amar Chitra Katha, the comic collection that was my passion during my childhood days. Those days I would consider trips to the railway station to be a joy- not because we were going on a journey, or I was getting an outing - but because I would get to purchase a couple of titles of Amar Chitra Katha comics. If my Dad was in an expansive mood, I might even get to treat myself to more than 2! It was always an occasion for me - I would get to read something on a priority, I would get to be the first to touch and open it! My brother would have to wait for his turn...

The comic book series is unique since it carries tales of Indian Culture, History, Fables, Religion, Humour, Biographies and Heritage, sporting titles like the ones below:






In retrospect, I now realise that I learnt a lot from the Amar Chitra Katha Comic Series. I learnt about Mahatma Gandhi, Jawaharlal Nehru, Akbar, Birbal, Prithviraj Chauhan, Hakka and Bakka, Subhash Chandra Bose, Karna, Vikramaditya, Panchatantra, Banda Bahadur, Ranjit Singh, Ananda Math, Krishna and Rukmini, Ancestors of Rama, The Gita, Vivekanand, Shahjahan, Krishnadev Raya, Amar Singh Rathore, Hari Singh Nalwa etc first from the epic comic series. I am listing merely the topics that I recall reading. The complete list can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Amar_Chitra_Katha_comics

It really is a wonderful, fun way to keep our children updated about our country. It is a gift, a comic from their point of view, something that they can read at will without parents screaming at them. And I dont see any issue with my kid reading something like the Amar Chitra Katha. It  imparts some knowledge to them, imbibes some values, some learning in a fun way. In later years, it will become a cherished memory for them... a very good value proposition, if you will. 

It is a great pity that more book stores do not stock these comics. I am pretty sure that if prominently displayed, the retail off-take of these comics will be there. Secondly, they are not too heavy on the pocket - Rs. 30 for a single unit., Rs. 75 for 3 in 1 or thereabouts. In my childhood it was unimaginable that a book store does not have stock of an Amar Chitra Katha Comic. They were omnipresent - I know since whenever we visited a book store I would always spot and purchase a comic. For very Phantom and Mandrake that we purchased, there were several ACK's! But in a modern bookstore, comics are a rarity. Even the modern comics like archies are a thing of the past, it seems. You have to hunt for them. Further, I have not noted people asking for comics to gift their children either. It is always a toy, or a visit to a movie or a pizza parlour. Video Games have usurped the position enjoyed by comics... which is a great pity. Even Phantom and Mandrake were an escape into a fantasy world, and were a treat.  The world - children and parents alike - seemed to have moved on. Why blame anyone else? I too have gifted everything to kids even in birthdays- but never a comic. But I feel that our children are missing something. And with regards to Amar Chitra Katha, they have an added value addition faeture attached to them as well. Perhaps the advent of television and the attendant exposure to stories in the form of cartoons have taken the place of the educational comics... 


This epic comic series was the brain child of Mr Anant Pai.who started them in an attempt to teach Indian children about their cultural heritage. Mr Anant, popularly known an Uncle Pai, was an Chemical Technologist from what is now UDCT, and a dual degree holder from the University of Bombay. He was shocked that Indian students could answer questions on Greek and Roman mythology, but were ignorant of their own history, mythology and folklore. It so happened that a quiz contest aired on Doordarshan in February 1967, in which participants could easily answer questions pertaining to Greek mythology, but were unable to reply to the question "In the Ramayana, who was Rama's mother? It was this instance that triggered a chain of events that lead to the Amar Chitra Katha Series. It is still one of the largest selling comic book series in India,with 90 million copies being sold in 20 languages.  


It is heartening to note that Amar Chitra Katha has noted the change in times and has modernized its formats, (http://www.amarchitrakatha.com/) and has evolved over time. It is now available as a digital media  for solutions ranging from Online Access to Mobile Phones. 

However, I will still miss the old format - the paperback comic. Not that they aren't avalable - they are, in some stores, and in abundance. So, in between the digital formats, hidden somewhere between my sons' Pogo Time and www.pogo.tv and related surfings, I shall strive to ensure that a copy of Amar Chitra Katha Comic lands in his hands... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PK, The Movie : One Of The Best...

\ PK : A Movie Ahead Of Its Time; A Movie That Is A Very Vital And Current Need! I dont normally review movies; my blog does not lend itself to such an activity, given its positioning as one that asks some tough questions to Indians. I am making an exception for this movie, not because it is a landmark movie {which it is}, but because this movie is also one that asks some pretty blunt, and to some people, offensive questions.  It is rather sad and humbling to see the vigorous protests to this movie, and some cases of active on-street protests and interference in some places. Sad, because there is almost nothing in the content that should excite such actions; and humbling because it is a painful reminder that we as a nation have still a ways to go in our quest for true development! Before I move onto the movie, I have just one question : did the protesters also protest to Haider? If no, you did not find the negative portrayal of The Indian Army objecti

Tarkeshwar Mahadev : Pune Hidden Gems

What do you do when you have something good, something that is praiseworthy, and something that can be an attraction? Answer, if you are in Pune – keep silent about it, tell no one. This is seemingly exaggerated – perhaps it is exaggerated; but I am flabbergasted by a series of unbelievable locations that I have visited in Pune City – within main Pune City, mind you . These are not well known – at least not one single localite informed me, even on asking . At least those I talked. If I didn’t talk to the right people, perhaps I am in the wrong. But – if you expand your vision to TV, Cinema, Popular opinion, hotels – the situation above gets proof. I earlier visited Pune on a family holiday, stayed in a good Hotel. Not one Hotel informed me of these; not one person – Taxi, Tour Guide – even mentioned these . Thus, it seems to me that Puneites don’t realise how lovely a city they have, how mesmerizing are its many, many tourist-worthy places, how rich and unspoiled,

Book Review : Chhatrapati Shivaji

Chhattrapati Shivaji stands as one of the most celebrated medieval heroes in Modern India; it is a name that touches a chord in almost every Indian, and is a powerful force to reckon with even today, three centuries after his death. He is present everywhere you can see; he is one of the few to withstand the onslaught of naming everything in sight after the Nehru family. A Chhatrapati square her, a Shivaji Terminus there – many cities have honoured themselves with some landmark, statue, street or square in his name. Such is his current followership, and so powerful is his presence. This makes reviewing any book related on this personality a big responsibility, a tough task  – and not one to be taken with insincerity, or with bias,  or attitude. I had always thought of The Chhatrapati as a tall personality, a commanding and great Indian; but had never given a thought to the pull, the deep connect and the powerful influence this genius had on me; as I read the current book, as I t