Skip to main content

Top Rated Movies or Serials - Any Langauge


This is a list of my favourite movies / serials, spanning Marathi – English as well as Hindi. While I am openly tilted towards Marathi entertainment of all kinds, in compiling this, I have made every effort to remain as unbiased as feasible. That said, this subject – AV Entertainment – is by definition subjective, and thus, to that extent, the element of subjectivity is present. I have enumerated the top 30 here –of these, 20 are Marathi; 4 are in English, 1 German and 5 are Hindi Movies. Among Hindi movies – none are recent; the latest is 2009.



CRITERIA
The criteria for introducing objectivity in the judgements I have used are – Story, Character Charts, Script, Performance, Uniqueness of concept / script / story, Lesson from movie, My response & mood on watching, Screenplay, Direction, Camerawork / Cinematography in that order.   {Fair decleration of perceptive noise source in rating} I have not given any weightage to Special Effects / technology etc in either rating the movies on IMDB, or in my movie reviews on my  blog – I don’t personally consider that to be arts or cinema; being a purist, overt special effects is a huge turn-off for me – I place emphasis on pure art, and human involvement in terms of story etc.  I have consciously always deducted 2 stars for Special  Effects predominant stuff – and added 2 stars for each movie that I watch repeatedly many times over. That is why Independence Day misses the cut, and Inside Job qualifies, for example. That is also why my list is Marathi dominant {67%} as well as story / character / performance dominant

CHOOSING….
The real difficulty started when I tried to choose the first among equals : a list has to start somewhere. Regular documentation of my ratings first on my blog and thereafter on IMDB gave me my top-rated stuff. But where to start?  It was a choice between 3 Idiots, Mumbai Pune Mumbai and  Ek Unad Divas… finally, I settled for my heart – the inimitable Mumbai Pune Mumbai – to my mind, one of the finest movies ever made… 

But perhaps the saddest cut of all was the exclusion of Mangalashtak Once More – that hurt a lot.  This is a movie that qualified – 10 stars – on all parameters; given my heavy heart on watching it, I was forced to reduce it to 7 stars, as I had identified mood response as a critical parameter. Movies in my belief should make you feel good. Thus, given the content, MOM missed it. Otherwise, Mangalashtak Once More easily reaches the top of the list – even above Mumbai Pune Mumbai. Others which missed the cut and surprised me were Dhyanimani, Sairat, Sumbaran, Border and Singham…

So that, my friends, is  my top 3 : Mumbai Pune Mumbai, Ek Unaad Divas and 3 Idiots. Story, Uniqueness, Lessons, Script, Performance, Character-Charts made these…  The perceptive noise source identified above can be seen – impact on mood, which is my personal choice. As I said, fair and open transparency in the ratings. Among the rest, I can list some real gems : Kaasav, LOC, Baapjanm, Lokmanya, Katyar, Rommel, Margin Call, Hampi and many others; giving an eclectic mix of genres spanning a Documentaries, Suspense Thrillers, Comedies, War, Character Based Biographies and more…  Also, there were quite a few top Hindi  English movies that barely missed the cut by a literal millimeter – PK, Heqeeqat, Awara, Silsila, Ittefeq {old}, Waqt, Seige of Jadotville, The Longest Day… which brings me to the last source of error - recency

THE LIST
1.      Mumbai Pune Mumbai – Swapnil Joshi, Mukta Barve; this is the enthralling story of 2 people talking for 2 straight hours over the period of a single day. There is no other character. Enough Said.



2.     Ek Unaad Divas – Ashok Saraf, Ila Bhate; the story revolves around a top corporate manager’s day – in which he learns a life lesson about how to live, really live… a movie that leaves a lasting impression on you, and teaches you an unforgettable lesson in living!



My Review : Ek Unaad Divas Review

3.     3 Idiots – Amir Khan, Kareena Kapoor-Khan, Sharman Joshi, R Madhavan; The story of 3 friends, and a lasting lesson in what good education really means…


4.    Coffee Ani Barach Kaahi  - Vaibhav Tatwavadi, Prarthana Behere; A touching heart warming love story that touches your  heart… truly one of a kind!





5.     Lokmanya Ek Yugpurush – Subodh Bhave in the role of a lifetime;  a stunning movie on Lokmanya Tilak!




6.    Angoor – Sanjeev Kumar*2, Deven Verma *2, Moushumi Chatterjee, Dipti Naval; Iconic Comedy of two pairs of twins, a laughter riot…


7.     Hrudayantar – Subodh Bhave, Mukta Barve; a simply stunning movie that is among the finest ever in Indian Moviedom – the story of a Husband & Wife near Divorce, and their terminally sick daughter…  never have I seen a more mind-blowing performance as from Subodh & Mukta in this  one!




My Review : Hrudayantar Review

8.    Katyar Kaljat Ghusli – Subodh Bhave again! A stunning Musical. Enough said – only movie in my experience that got a standing ovation from the audience…




9.    Chi Va Chi Sau Ka – Lalit Prabhakar, Mrunmayee Godbole; Rolling Comedy of a modern couple of traditional parents – and a truly unique experiment….


10. Rudram – Mukta Barve; A roll of a lifetime. A spine-chilling Revenge story, as Mukta goes after the killers of her family. Surreal Stuff… sends shivers down your spine!


11.   Kaasav – Mohan Agashe, Irawati Harshe; a lovely soft touching story of human relationships combined with a twin story on Turtle conservation…


12.  Golmaal – Amol Palekar, Utpal Dutt, Dipti Naval … this needs no detailing!


13. Aapla Manus – Nana Patekar;  A superb thriller around an old man’s fall from the balcony – was it a suicide? Was it a murder? Was it an accident? An awesome whodunit…




My Review : Aaplaa Manus Review

14. Baapjanm – Sachin Khedekar; a hilarious side-splitting story of a retired spy’s mission to bring his family closer to him…



My Review : Baapjanma Review

15. Premachi Goshta – Atul Kulkarni, Sagarika Ghatge;  A classy heart-warming soft story of mature love between two people in the process of divorce


16. Hampi – Lalit Prabhakar, Sonalee Kulkarni; This a love story – and truly unique. A story that defies description, characterized by soul-searching silence, awesome cinematography, stunning yet soft powerful dialogues… see it to believe. This is the pinnacle of movie-making!



My Review : Hampi Review

17.  Aaghat – Vikram Gokhle, Mukta Barve; A lovely thrilling drama around a famous doctor, his mistake – and the fight of a junior doctor for justice… seat-edge drama!


18. LOC Kargil – Too many actors to list! And well known story as well… self-explanatory


19. Eka Lagnachi Dusri Goshta – Swapnil Joshi, Mukta Barve; A unique story of two people marrying with the express objective of not marrying… a lovely story of two families and how they become inexhorably connected in a deep relationship!


20.                        Lagaan – Amir Khan, Gracy Singh; The story of how a village team beat the local English Army Team to gain 2 years lagaan maafi…


21.  Margin Call – Kevin Spacey, Demi Moore and others; The story of the collapse of an Investment Bank, and all it entails


22. Shwaas – Sandeep Kulkarni, Arun Nalawade, Ashwin Chitale; a touching story of a Grandfather’s choice – Grandson’s eyesight – or his life? And how to tell the child?


23.Cycle – Hrushikesh Joshi; A unique story of a man’s hunt for his stolen cycle



My Review : Cycle Review

24.                        Aamhi Doghi – Mukta Barve, Priya Bapat; What happens when your step mother and you have a small age difference? This is the subject; unique treatment – with sensitivity and panache.



My Review : Aamhi Doghi Review

25.Tokyo Trial – Irrfan Khan and others; The full true story of the Japanese War Crimes Trials, exposing the Western Hypocrisy


26.                        Rommel – Ulrich Tukur; German Movie on the Desert Fox…


27. Duniyadaari – Swapnil Joshi, Jitendra Joshi, Ankush Choudhary; A refreshingly different take on the oft-told concept of dying man… with intriguing  twists


28.                        The Looming Tower – Jeff Daniels, Tahar Rahim; True Story behind theintelligence failures before the 9/11 attacks on the USA


29.                        Ek Krantiveer – Vasudeo Balwant Phadke – Ajinkya Deo; True story of Freedom Fighter Vasudeo Balwant Phadke




30.                       Inside Job – Matt Damon and others; a detailed look at what happened in the financial meltdown of 2008…




This then is the list as on date. I have tried to be fair & balanced; yet am mature enough to realize rating movies can be highly perception driven, ridden with hidden biases & perceptive noise. I have made an effort to identify the sources of error as may be present; and also recognize this will change with time. However, one thing will not change – that Special Effects, Computer stuff and tech heavy stuff will not qualify, as that is my personal opinion of it being not really fully “art”… I have made every effort to remove language bias in this – and am pleased to note the presence of 20 Marathi movies – with the rest being 4 English and 1 German…


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PK, The Movie : One Of The Best...

\ PK : A Movie Ahead Of Its Time; A Movie That Is A Very Vital And Current Need! I dont normally review movies; my blog does not lend itself to such an activity, given its positioning as one that asks some tough questions to Indians. I am making an exception for this movie, not because it is a landmark movie {which it is}, but because this movie is also one that asks some pretty blunt, and to some people, offensive questions.  It is rather sad and humbling to see the vigorous protests to this movie, and some cases of active on-street protests and interference in some places. Sad, because there is almost nothing in the content that should excite such actions; and humbling because it is a painful reminder that we as a nation have still a ways to go in our quest for true development! Before I move onto the movie, I have just one question : did the protesters also protest to Haider? If no, you did not find the negative portrayal of The Indian Army objecti

Tarkeshwar Mahadev : Pune Hidden Gems

What do you do when you have something good, something that is praiseworthy, and something that can be an attraction? Answer, if you are in Pune – keep silent about it, tell no one. This is seemingly exaggerated – perhaps it is exaggerated; but I am flabbergasted by a series of unbelievable locations that I have visited in Pune City – within main Pune City, mind you . These are not well known – at least not one single localite informed me, even on asking . At least those I talked. If I didn’t talk to the right people, perhaps I am in the wrong. But – if you expand your vision to TV, Cinema, Popular opinion, hotels – the situation above gets proof. I earlier visited Pune on a family holiday, stayed in a good Hotel. Not one Hotel informed me of these; not one person – Taxi, Tour Guide – even mentioned these . Thus, it seems to me that Puneites don’t realise how lovely a city they have, how mesmerizing are its many, many tourist-worthy places, how rich and unspoiled,

Book Review : Chhatrapati Shivaji

Chhattrapati Shivaji stands as one of the most celebrated medieval heroes in Modern India; it is a name that touches a chord in almost every Indian, and is a powerful force to reckon with even today, three centuries after his death. He is present everywhere you can see; he is one of the few to withstand the onslaught of naming everything in sight after the Nehru family. A Chhatrapati square her, a Shivaji Terminus there – many cities have honoured themselves with some landmark, statue, street or square in his name. Such is his current followership, and so powerful is his presence. This makes reviewing any book related on this personality a big responsibility, a tough task  – and not one to be taken with insincerity, or with bias,  or attitude. I had always thought of The Chhatrapati as a tall personality, a commanding and great Indian; but had never given a thought to the pull, the deep connect and the powerful influence this genius had on me; as I read the current book, as I t