Skip to main content

What Is Modern Marketing Even Doing? Three Basic Mistakes Brands Keep Making

In the modern business landscape, brands need to pay far more attention to their customers. A single review in today’s interconnected world can completely destroy sales, or a single missing detail can cause missed sales. How brands communicate, how they structure their packaging details, and how they handle consumer mentions on social media reflect the state of the modern marketing scenario—and right now, critical fundamentals are being missed.





A Lesson in Consumer Behavior: Financial Incentives vs. Trust

My experience began when I was looking for Pooja ghee. I was evaluating a new brand simply because it was available on a particular platform where I had some credit available. Having free cash or credit on a platform makes a purchase financially more remunerative, but that doesn't mean a consumer is going to compromise on product quality. That is a crucial consumer behavior lesson. Because this was not my regular brand, I decided to look up the product in detail before committing to the purchase.

What followed brought out three very basic aspects of marketing. The first was the role of reviews and how a single review can influence a purchase decision. The second was product packaging and product detailing, particularly whether the information a customer needs is actually available. The third was brand messaging and communication: what are you telling the customer, and are you communicating the things that matter to the person who is considering buying your product?


Mistake 1: Missing the Basics in Packaging and Brand Messaging

When evaluating a product, brand messaging and packaging communication are vital. There are key elements a customer looks for, yet basic product detailing is frequently left out.

The Missing Ingredient Details

When I scanned through the product images, I found that one critical detail was missing. Nowhere on the packaging were the ingredients easily visible. While I cannot say for sure whether ingredients were listed on the physical item since I had not purchased it yet, they were certainly not visible in any of the six or seven images available on that platform.

The Search for Transparency

Seeking clarity, I navigated to the brand’s main product page as well as their official website. I still could not find any details on the ingredients. This caused me to pause. By contrast, my regular brand had the ingredients specifically listed in detail. Had this new brand clearly displayed its ingredients from the start, I would not have needed to dig deeper in the first place. I started to dig deeper because I had some free cash available on the other platform, and it was financially more remunerative for me to buy the product there. But that does not mean I am going to compromise on the product. That, in itself, is a consumer behaviour lesson. A financial incentive may make me consider a different brand, but it does not mean that I will compromise on information that is important to me.


Mistake 2: Failing to Manage and Monitor Product Reviews

Unresolved reviews can instantly flip a buying decision. While this brand had good reviews overall, one particular review caught my eye and became the ultimate clincher.

The Impact of a Single Review

The review clearly pointed out that this particular Pooja ghee stays solid even at 40 degrees centigrade. I do not know whether that customer was telling the truth or not, but reading that detail was enough to make my decision.

The Decision to Walk Away

That unaddressed claim was my cue to navigate away from the page entirely. I returned to my regular brand's page, where I immediately spotted the ingredients listed clearly. After seeing that transparency, I didn't look anywhere else—I simply purchased my regular brand.

That product is now in my hands, and because it is a bit warm here, the ghee is liquid. That proves to me it is genuine stuff, or at least that is how I interpret it.


Mistake 3: Turning a Blind Eye to Social Listening and Mentions

Beyond product listings and reviews, modern marketers are failing at basic social media engagement. Man y times, I have tagged brands in my LinkedIn posts to appreciate them, yet not a single brand has ever responded. This is not an ego issue; it is a fundamental flaw in how companies operate today. Software tools exist specifically to help brands track social mentions and listen to their audience. If a brand is not listening to its customers and not responding on social media, what are they actually doing? That is not true marketing.


This is the status of the modern marketing scenario. Customers are talking about brands on social media, and brands have access to tools and software that help them track those social mentions. There are tools available to tell you when people are talking about your brand and what they are saying. Yet if you are not paying attention to those conversations, you are ignoring an important source of customer information. The technology is available. The ability to monitor social mentions exists. The question is whether marketers are actually using it and, more importantly, whether they are actually listening to what customers are saying.


Conclusion: Returning to Marketing Fundamentals

These experiences highlight three basic marketing mistakes that far too many marketers make today:

  1. Ignoring or failing to address customer reviews that raise doubts about product quality.
  2. Neglecting social media mentions and failing to listen or respond to active consumers.
  3. Failing to align packaging and digital messaging with the critical information customers actually look for.

These are all very basic aspects of marketing. They are not sophisticated marketing techniques, and they do not require some elaborate new marketing philosophy. They require marketers to pay attention to the customer and to the information surrounding the product. Messaging, communication, packaging alignment, and customer feedback are the absolute basics of marketing. If modern marketers are not listening to their audience, defining their brand communication, or managing their product packaging properly, it raises a fundamental question: what kind of marketing is actually going on?

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tarkeshwar Mahadev : Pune Hidden Gems

What do you do when you have something good, something that is praiseworthy, and something that can be an attraction? Answer, if you are in Pune – keep silent about it, tell no one. This is seemingly exaggerated – perhaps it is exaggerated; but I am flabbergasted by a series of unbelievable locations that I have visited in Pune City – within main Pune City, mind you . These are not well known – at least not one single localite informed me, even on asking . At least those I talked. If I didn’t talk to the right people, perhaps I am in the wrong. But – if you expand your vision to TV, Cinema, Popular opinion, hotels – the situation above gets proof. I earlier visited Pune on a family holiday, stayed in a good Hotel. Not one Hotel informed me of these; not one person – Taxi, Tour Guide – even mentioned these . Thus, it seems to me that Puneites don’t realise how lovely a city they have, how mesmerizing are its many, many tourist-worthy places, how rich and unspoiled,...

Book Review - Stay Hungry Stay Foolish by Rashmi Bansal

This is the first Rashmi Bansal book I am reading, and I have to admit that her writing makes for an interesting read. Stay Hungry Stay Foolish is a very interesting and diverse collection of stories of Entrepreneurs – I wont say Case Studies, as the focus is on the individual rather than the company, the Brand or the strategy employed. And this is just about the only negative I can spot in an otherwise near-flawless book on Business in India. A worthy addition to any regular reader on Business, rated 4 stars. THE BOOK The book’s collection of Entrepreneurs is subdivided into 3 interesting heads : The Believers, The Opportunists, The Alternate Visionists. The first – the Believers – consists of examples of Entrepreneurs who went into Business straight after their MBA: the Opportunists went into Business when opportunity presented itself; and the third group – those with creative intent or social causes at heart. This classification makes it interesting, to say the least...

Book Review : Chhatrapati Shivaji

Chhattrapati Shivaji stands as one of the most celebrated medieval heroes in Modern India; it is a name that touches a chord in almost every Indian, and is a powerful force to reckon with even today, three centuries after his death. He is present everywhere you can see; he is one of the few to withstand the onslaught of naming everything in sight after the Nehru family. A Chhatrapati square her, a Shivaji Terminus there – many cities have honoured themselves with some landmark, statue, street or square in his name. Such is his current followership, and so powerful is his presence. This makes reviewing any book related on this personality a big responsibility, a tough task  – and not one to be taken with insincerity, or with bias,  or attitude. I had always thought of The Chhatrapati as a tall personality, a commanding and great Indian; but had never given a thought to the pull, the deep connect and the powerful influence this genius had on me; as I read the current boo...