Skip to main content

Book Review - City Of Nine Gates by Pankaj Rajput


The City of Nine Gates by Pankaj Rajput : by some distance one of the toughest books I have ever reviewed on my blog. No book comes close; it is also a book I do not want to review, a part of my Antahkaran is fiercely against reviewing this, as per my understanding of SBG18/67, which is precise. {Follow link for my article on it}.  However, I accept that my Aham frequently overpowers this, and I do advocate SBG at least in the odd slip of self-control; secondly, I am committed to reviewing this – ek baar zubaan de di toh de di. Had I not committed to reviewing this, I would not have come across this masterpiece, this wonder of a book. Point is humbly accepted; perhaps I need a deeper understanding of SBG18/67… and study a little more!

Pankaj Rajput


THE BOOK
To be short & concise – this encapsulates Vedic Knowledge from The Shrimad Bhagwad Geeta, Several Upanishadic Texts, The Bhagvatam and some other lauded texts from our ancient scriptures. I could spot the direct attributable influence of at least The Shrimad Bhagwad Geeta, The Taittriyopanishad, The Prashnopanishad, The Mahanarayan Upanishad, {The Bhagvatam I have not read yet} although to be honest, it also encapsulates the contents of the others Upanishads I have been lucky enough to read for the most part. References given throughout this review are only meant to emphasise the solid scriptural authority on which this masterpiece is based on; an area where the book could have been much more specific than it currently is.

The story is essentially that of liberation of a Human – in this case, a Millionaire Businessperson through his experiences. The author has woven in the entire literature’s {referred  above}  key concepts into the plot to create a lovely engaging story. This millionaire goes on an Archeological search, and undergoes an experience in that place, an ancient fort. The book comprises his experiences in the fort, and the sequence of events that the said fort triggered in his life, as he is set of on a path to Moksha. That, in a nutshell, is the essence of the book under review.

THE REVIEW
First, note that I use the words review, and not analyse. One cannot analyse these contents; they are beyond “Analysis”. I can only present my views on the contents, with an objective of trying to communicate with those among my readers who are interested in this topic. Accordingly, I will try and place some basic concepts in the review for those who are not aware, which will make the read easier for those alluded to in the second para of this review section. The italicized words are the key to understanding this superb, simple and engaging work. This is what all our scriptures specifically state; interested in the path.  So, first – who should read this?

If questions relating to life come to you, if questions relating to death, misery, why am I here, where did all this come from etc – this book is for you. If you are troubled by disease, lies, dishonesty, pain around you – this book is for you. If you want to understand life, and are looking beyond mere sensual pleasures, this book is for you. In all these cases above, you will find the initial starting a bit challenging, not being aware of the concepts it contains – but things will clarify as the book progresses.  If you are interested in Vedic Scriptures, this book is for you. If you are a reader – sporadic, or even regular, of our Scriptures, this book is for you. And for this latter category, you will really enjoy & understand right from the first page, and get pulled in.

The City of Nine Gates is a clear identifier – the human body. The Shrimad Bhagwad Geeta refers to it as such; meaning there are nine ways for the body to engage with the outer world- eyes, ears, nose, mouth, genitals and anus. The story is an internal journey, starting from page around 27. Again, this is in keeping with the scriptures, which quite clearly state that you have to turn inwards & dissociate from the indriyas {sense organs}, turn them inwards. The 3 paths, again this is SBG, are Sankhya, Karm & Bhakti – the three real Yog paths. Lastly, the sheaths, five in number – are Anna, Pran, Man, Vidnyan and Anand. For this last, trust the author – and dig in, dive in. You will enjoy in it. Saying more is not advisable here; you are in the hands of a person close to reaching the status of  a Master in this field.

For here, suffice it to state, in rather simple terms, these sheaths – Panch Mahakosh – are one within the other {Taittriyopanishad Brahmanandvalli, Anuvak 1 – 6} even as per the scriptures, and one has to transcend each sheath to progress. My personal observation – this last underlined part is a realization I got fully from the book, thanks Mr Rajput {along with many other learnings}. I use this specific reference here to ask you a question – this sheaths have appeared elsewhere {Mahanarayan Upanishad Anuvak 66 Shlok 10, for example}.

Anuvaak 4 of Taittriyanopashad-2 states for Vidnyanamay that it is comprised of Buddhi, Sadaacharan, satya-Bhaashan, Dhyaan and Paramatmaa. Your representation, though in keeping with this, is mildly at variance – clearly a learning from some other source, which I haven’t read yet. My only observation on the entire path is that perhaps you could have stressed on these aspects alongwith the ones mentioned by you. Similar is the take on Anandamay Kosh, wherein T.B.5-6 states Anand, Mod, Pramod and Brahm. This would have made the concept or path much more easier to grasp in my humble opinion – as well as helped push these values in the readers; that said, Let me be honest, you taught me a lot.  Please accept these suggestions as questions, nothing more.


CONCLUSION
The part that hit home the hardest are two-fold: first, page 247 - pain is the trigger that clears a being’s attachment to Maya, setting off questions and realization leading to a hunt for answers, and hopefully – realizing the path to Moksha. Well said indeed! I completey agree. Only when a mortal thinks, why is there pain in this world? Why is there unhappiness in this world? Only then Buddhi, alongwith the entire being begins to walk the path to Moksha. Brilliant observations indeed! Kudos! Second part that hit home – a realization that all paths {Sakhya / Dnyaan, Karm, Bhakti} are the same, something I have long believed, but was unable to put  into specific thoughts. I have always wondered what is the difference, as you cannot have a walk on any path without being on the other two as well! Only the external manifestations at a karmic or mayic level are different. Would like your comments on both these points.

This is a book that taught me many lessons, gave me clarity on several of my questions, clarified steps as well as firmed up resolve on some aspects of life. Truly, things happen at the right time – this came just at the the time my mind was grappling with some questions along my chosen path which this book has helped answer. And it is on this basis that I made my read-target groups;if you have questions in your mind, you should reach out for this absolute masterpiece and grab. This is a book that will stay on your shelf and be read and re-read many times. For me, it will join the special shelf of books of Vedic Literature, not my other normal non-fiction books. Mr Rajput, my personal thanks for penning this!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PK, The Movie : One Of The Best...

\ PK : A Movie Ahead Of Its Time; A Movie That Is A Very Vital And Current Need! I dont normally review movies; my blog does not lend itself to such an activity, given its positioning as one that asks some tough questions to Indians. I am making an exception for this movie, not because it is a landmark movie {which it is}, but because this movie is also one that asks some pretty blunt, and to some people, offensive questions.  It is rather sad and humbling to see the vigorous protests to this movie, and some cases of active on-street protests and interference in some places. Sad, because there is almost nothing in the content that should excite such actions; and humbling because it is a painful reminder that we as a nation have still a ways to go in our quest for true development! Before I move onto the movie, I have just one question : did the protesters also protest to Haider? If no, you did not find the negative portrayal of The Indian Army objecti

Tarkeshwar Mahadev : Pune Hidden Gems

What do you do when you have something good, something that is praiseworthy, and something that can be an attraction? Answer, if you are in Pune – keep silent about it, tell no one. This is seemingly exaggerated – perhaps it is exaggerated; but I am flabbergasted by a series of unbelievable locations that I have visited in Pune City – within main Pune City, mind you . These are not well known – at least not one single localite informed me, even on asking . At least those I talked. If I didn’t talk to the right people, perhaps I am in the wrong. But – if you expand your vision to TV, Cinema, Popular opinion, hotels – the situation above gets proof. I earlier visited Pune on a family holiday, stayed in a good Hotel. Not one Hotel informed me of these; not one person – Taxi, Tour Guide – even mentioned these . Thus, it seems to me that Puneites don’t realise how lovely a city they have, how mesmerizing are its many, many tourist-worthy places, how rich and unspoiled,

Book Review : Chhatrapati Shivaji

Chhattrapati Shivaji stands as one of the most celebrated medieval heroes in Modern India; it is a name that touches a chord in almost every Indian, and is a powerful force to reckon with even today, three centuries after his death. He is present everywhere you can see; he is one of the few to withstand the onslaught of naming everything in sight after the Nehru family. A Chhatrapati square her, a Shivaji Terminus there – many cities have honoured themselves with some landmark, statue, street or square in his name. Such is his current followership, and so powerful is his presence. This makes reviewing any book related on this personality a big responsibility, a tough task  – and not one to be taken with insincerity, or with bias,  or attitude. I had always thought of The Chhatrapati as a tall personality, a commanding and great Indian; but had never given a thought to the pull, the deep connect and the powerful influence this genius had on me; as I read the current book, as I t