Skip to main content

Confidence, Or Competence?


Confidence remains one of the most popular, focused on and discussed wiords in a manager’s dictionary, be it routine chats in teams, or be it hiring, or be it routine / strategic / tactical decisions or steps in managing. It becomes a fundamental, core parameter at most  times. While it is indeed vitally important, it is more often than not misunderstood, or its relative importance overstated , or misunderstood, leading to actual real-world problems…



CONFIDENCE – OR COMPETENCIES?
I have a different take... Confidence is linked to the end-result; and is thus a product, not a determinant in itself. I prefer focus not on being confident - I find that a distraction - but on the Process. The moment I focus on the process, and de-link everything else, and decide to give it my best shot - I am in comfort zone; even if I fail. Focussing on the process perforce requires me to break each task into into constituent elements; executing each element with max focus brings satisfaction;  and - if my knowledge is sub-par, it automatically ensures I upgrade skills... Confidence becomes irrelevant in this approach

METAMORPHOSIS OF CONFIDENCE
In fact, I have experienced Confidence very rapidly metamorphoses into either over-confidence, or dejection... or worse still, arrogance. Each of these have defined downsides in teams, leading to crises, conflict – or productivity losses. And thus confidence is a massive misnomer, borne out of Western Philosophical and Psychological systems... if focused on without a deep understanding of all its elements. In hiring, I never look for confidence. I look for dedication, ability, task orientation, process-orientation, integrity, unimpeachable honesty. If these are there, confidence is irrelevant. Confidence is itself a product of a set of circumstances...
                                                           
It is is thus rather a risky choice to take, and has defined downsides if one chooses to focus on it in Business Realm. It cannot be controlled unless there is strong, dedicated and grounded mind in charge... this is the exception than the norm. Thus, I choose to, again, forget Confidence in totality, and look at its constituents...  Looking for Confidence, or gunning for confidence is a Dangerous path. Human weaknesses lead to Over Confidence. And an unsustainable, temporary state of mind. Orientation along solid ground of process is far more sustainable, balanced with superior results

IN EMPLOYEES
If an employee gets either arrogant, or over-confident – problems are a foregone conclusion in the  tasks entrusted  to such individuals. Thus, if a managers sees signs of confidence in a team member – it would recommended to do a rough competency check along the task-requisites, and check if the team member possess the needed competency-set to handle the task. It is hard to distinguish between arrogance and confidence in 60% of the cases, in my opinion.

In fact, worse still – the external confidence may also stem from a deep competency in “managing” the system, taking short-cuts and bending rules – which might even wreck the task entrusted to the person. In such scenarios, typically in changing uncertain environments, such employees can wreck havoc gaming the system, building self while the core task remains undone, or partially done. This is basis a real story, when a competent employee {in the old systems} mis-interpreted intentions, and brought the organizational change to a halt – a high-revenue territory. He was confident – arrogant, and a “gamer.”

IN HIRING
In Hiring, It is often said that when there are two candidates with equal potential, one can look for confidence: however, Equal potential doesnt exist... I would go for the one, as stated above, candidate with dedication, ability, task orientation, process-orientation, integrity, unimpeachable honesty. How can he have confidence if he isnt in my company? No task is the same - even in same industry. At best, I can have confidence in what I have delivered, or in my abilities / skills; or my flexibility, adaptability that will enable me to deliver in new environments…

In fact, a confident candidate should be a HUGE warning sign. What is the person so confident of? Without achievement in the new culture, environment, people?  Such candidates bring in their alien corporate cultural, assumptions from other organisations, workstyles and more... wrecking the prevalent culture... thus, I dont want confidence. Give me people willing to learn, give their all with honesty. The question that arises is how can you establish dedication, honesty, process-orientation etc? In my humble opinion, Can be done with detailed smart question,s background checking and instinct; if you have the domain expertise and solid ground connect. AC Cabin types wont,  but the grounded people can judge 7 out 10 times.  And a 70% success rate in people matters is very respectable!

What I mean is, if a candidate is confident, what is he confident of? There I would go into his/her knowledge - core domain areas; and go deep into it - relevant to his target profile, and judge therefrom, if he/she is from same  domain. I will judge on core skills, ability, learning willingness, and honestly / integrity. If his/her confidence stems from his or her deep domain expertise, learning ability as evidenced by history of upskilling, fine! If new domain, I would drill into the past domains of the candidate, not on results achieved but on the process taken. True ability will meet most of my questions. Confident of performing in new role? Without supporting evidence, or showing willingness to adapt... it might be hollow, or at least needing deeper examination


CONCLUSION
Most of the above is from my personal experience; not only books. I am a man, like others, who has made mistakes; trusted the wrong person, made judgement errors, wrong calls on people, as well as right calls. I have, always, tried to auto-correct, trying to figure out where I did wrong. May be this above is wrong as well; but, basis experience, - this above is what I feel. Analysing my failures, for ex – the arrogance example above – led me to the realization that I was lead astray by my Manager, The VP .

Now can I blame the Manager? Call was mine; I have to own up to it. My point – focussing on  the externalities can be erroneous. It is far more recommended to look at the internal competencies. This is hard to do – that I concede; but the rewards are far superior, as things begin to move in auto mode once you put the right calls and the right people in place. Your leeway for delegation goes up; trust goes up; and things start ticking like a clock… this above  is what my experience at 2nd, 3rd and BH level has taught me – learn to look for competencies; define the right competencies – but this {defining} is  a topic for another day, as it opens a Pandora’s box all by its lonesome…



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PK, The Movie : One Of The Best...

\ PK : A Movie Ahead Of Its Time; A Movie That Is A Very Vital And Current Need! I dont normally review movies; my blog does not lend itself to such an activity, given its positioning as one that asks some tough questions to Indians. I am making an exception for this movie, not because it is a landmark movie {which it is}, but because this movie is also one that asks some pretty blunt, and to some people, offensive questions.  It is rather sad and humbling to see the vigorous protests to this movie, and some cases of active on-street protests and interference in some places. Sad, because there is almost nothing in the content that should excite such actions; and humbling because it is a painful reminder that we as a nation have still a ways to go in our quest for true development! Before I move onto the movie, I have just one question : did the protesters also protest to Haider? If no, you did not find the negative portrayal of The Indian Army objecti

Tarkeshwar Mahadev : Pune Hidden Gems

What do you do when you have something good, something that is praiseworthy, and something that can be an attraction? Answer, if you are in Pune – keep silent about it, tell no one. This is seemingly exaggerated – perhaps it is exaggerated; but I am flabbergasted by a series of unbelievable locations that I have visited in Pune City – within main Pune City, mind you . These are not well known – at least not one single localite informed me, even on asking . At least those I talked. If I didn’t talk to the right people, perhaps I am in the wrong. But – if you expand your vision to TV, Cinema, Popular opinion, hotels – the situation above gets proof. I earlier visited Pune on a family holiday, stayed in a good Hotel. Not one Hotel informed me of these; not one person – Taxi, Tour Guide – even mentioned these . Thus, it seems to me that Puneites don’t realise how lovely a city they have, how mesmerizing are its many, many tourist-worthy places, how rich and unspoiled,

Book Review : Chhatrapati Shivaji

Chhattrapati Shivaji stands as one of the most celebrated medieval heroes in Modern India; it is a name that touches a chord in almost every Indian, and is a powerful force to reckon with even today, three centuries after his death. He is present everywhere you can see; he is one of the few to withstand the onslaught of naming everything in sight after the Nehru family. A Chhatrapati square her, a Shivaji Terminus there – many cities have honoured themselves with some landmark, statue, street or square in his name. Such is his current followership, and so powerful is his presence. This makes reviewing any book related on this personality a big responsibility, a tough task  – and not one to be taken with insincerity, or with bias,  or attitude. I had always thought of The Chhatrapati as a tall personality, a commanding and great Indian; but had never given a thought to the pull, the deep connect and the powerful influence this genius had on me; as I read the current book, as I t