Skip to main content

Book Review : The Fragile Thread Of Hope by Pankaj Giri


The Fragile Thread of Hope by Pankaj Giri is a very dark novel, a series of tragedies. In fact, it is a series of unrelenting tragedies on the main protagonists, right from the word go – and how they manage to hang on through it all, through thick and thin, frequently on their own. It is a story of grit, courage, determination, near-impossible odds, fighting the impossible as life hits them with one turn after another, with one tragedy after another. It is the story of two people whose lives slowly intertwine and what they go through as their troubles just keep on coming till the final solutions manifests. That, in a nutshell, is the simplified story of the book under review.

Pankaj Giri


I can state the characters; but I wont; I don’t want to digress from my main objective in writing this book. This was not an easy book to review at all; it is one of the hardest I have reviewed till date. A deep, dark and turbid tale is not my choice, neither is it my liking, nor is it my genre. That is why I found it exceptionally hard to rate this book; let alone review it. It  has been over a week since I read it; but am penning a review only now. Even now, this will be one of my shortest reviews of a book till date. Not that I didn’t like it; I find it hard to explain my feelings on this book, truth be told.

And yet, I realize that the characters the author has penned have stayed with me; today, even a week after I have finished the book. I still recall the characters; and this is despite the bare, skinny and minimal characterization that has been done. Despite the minimal details of various attributes, the characters form such a strong impression in your mind, that you are drawn to them like a magnet, even after you complete the book and move on. This is clearly a victory for the author’s skills. Kudos!

Given the overall grim and melancholy nature of the book in the first half, and some of the second half as well – this is a tremendous achievement by any yardstick. The story is, not to put too fine a point to it, a deeply dark tale – a story of tragedy, of misfortune, of unforeseen events that shatter life. But, at the same level, it is also the story of imperfection, of mistakes, of ghosts, of being haunted by your own deeds, of also being tricked, of being ditched, and of suffering – either from nature, or from your own mistakes, or from fate.

The language is simple, and easy to comprehend. The story is also quite a fast read, and progresses smoothly, though the constant going back and forth in time had me confused initially. This cost the rating on star, with another star docked for the dark nature of the story. But, once you get used to the tale, and the flow of the story, it begins to connect with you, make a deep impression, albeit very slowly and very delicately – as the characters form a deep impact on your deepest emotions. This is a story of struggle, of hope, and of survival; by the approach of the end, it puts you in hope, and gives you a lesson – that never to ever give up, never never ever give up! Do read to know more!

Comments

  1. Thank you so much, Vishal, for your lovely, honest review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. To read or not to read is our choice that is what I discern from the review; if I am ready to brush with the grim, dark realities of life - I should take the plunge, go ahead and read it. This review reminds me of an Oscar nominated movie; " Three Billboards... - the premise of the movie is so grim but once you connect you start living with the characters to the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... interesting viewpoint; do update me if and when you read the book....

      Delete
  3. Wow...what an extensive book review. If you get time, do visit my book review blog. I too love reading books, like you.
    my blog is www.keveinbooksnreviews.in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Zahid... superb blog. I looked it up... you are doing great work! Keep it up...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PK, The Movie : One Of The Best...

\ PK : A Movie Ahead Of Its Time; A Movie That Is A Very Vital And Current Need! I dont normally review movies; my blog does not lend itself to such an activity, given its positioning as one that asks some tough questions to Indians. I am making an exception for this movie, not because it is a landmark movie {which it is}, but because this movie is also one that asks some pretty blunt, and to some people, offensive questions.  It is rather sad and humbling to see the vigorous protests to this movie, and some cases of active on-street protests and interference in some places. Sad, because there is almost nothing in the content that should excite such actions; and humbling because it is a painful reminder that we as a nation have still a ways to go in our quest for true development! Before I move onto the movie, I have just one question : did the protesters also protest to Haider? If no, you did not find the negative portrayal of The Indian Army objecti

Tarkeshwar Mahadev : Pune Hidden Gems

What do you do when you have something good, something that is praiseworthy, and something that can be an attraction? Answer, if you are in Pune – keep silent about it, tell no one. This is seemingly exaggerated – perhaps it is exaggerated; but I am flabbergasted by a series of unbelievable locations that I have visited in Pune City – within main Pune City, mind you . These are not well known – at least not one single localite informed me, even on asking . At least those I talked. If I didn’t talk to the right people, perhaps I am in the wrong. But – if you expand your vision to TV, Cinema, Popular opinion, hotels – the situation above gets proof. I earlier visited Pune on a family holiday, stayed in a good Hotel. Not one Hotel informed me of these; not one person – Taxi, Tour Guide – even mentioned these . Thus, it seems to me that Puneites don’t realise how lovely a city they have, how mesmerizing are its many, many tourist-worthy places, how rich and unspoiled,

Book Review : Chhatrapati Shivaji

Chhattrapati Shivaji stands as one of the most celebrated medieval heroes in Modern India; it is a name that touches a chord in almost every Indian, and is a powerful force to reckon with even today, three centuries after his death. He is present everywhere you can see; he is one of the few to withstand the onslaught of naming everything in sight after the Nehru family. A Chhatrapati square her, a Shivaji Terminus there – many cities have honoured themselves with some landmark, statue, street or square in his name. Such is his current followership, and so powerful is his presence. This makes reviewing any book related on this personality a big responsibility, a tough task  – and not one to be taken with insincerity, or with bias,  or attitude. I had always thought of The Chhatrapati as a tall personality, a commanding and great Indian; but had never given a thought to the pull, the deep connect and the powerful influence this genius had on me; as I read the current book, as I t