Skip to main content

Book Review: 14 Hours - An Insider's Account Of The Taj Attack


How do you review a book that simply cannot be reviewed, or passed judgement upon? How do you review a book that is evocative of such a harrowing period in our nation's history? How do you review a book that transports you into the corridoors of the Taj during those terrifying days? How do you review a book that offers a ringside view of the horror? How do you review a book that deals with such an emotionally overpowering, close-to-the-heart topic? 

You cant. At least, I cant. I cant pass judgement on the writing, on the contents, on the language, on the phraseology... perhaps, these words are the best that can be used to describe this book. It leaves you speechless, and numbed. You are just unable to react in any way whatsoever, and are forced to turn page after page after terrifying page.  I finished this book in one sitting flat between Chinchpokli to Kalyan on a local train, and trust me I almost forgot to get down at Kalyan... I even remember vividly that I was on page 134 out of 154 total pages, I recall standing with the book in my hand... I was transfixed. The only way that I can review this emotionally powerful topic is to describe my own reactions, since I do not consider it ethical to question anything, or pass judgement on it. 

The topic is close to our hearts, is deeply intertwined in our national consciousness. 26th November 2008 scarred us deeply, and left deep and lasting impressions on our national psyche. No Indian can and will ever forget it; it is an event that has angered the entire nation like nothing has ever done before- and I hope and pray to God that nothing ever will. That is precisely why I cannot and will not pass judgement. Besides, the very fact that I consider myself unable to judge is proof of the quality of the book, and the fact that it makes a connect with the reader. Yes, to be sure, since it is such a vital topic, flaws are bound to be hidden to Indian eyes... but then this book is for Indians only, for only those people with a deep emotional connect to those horrifying days in November 2008

The book showcases the terror in the minds of the people, and brings to the fore the myriad human reactions under terror. The first question is : has the author been honest? Yes, in my opinion he has. You can discern the initial terror, and the freezing; you can see how external stimuli - sometimes a boss, sometimes a colleague- brought the author out of his terror-stricken mindset. The next question is: has the author portrayed himself as larger than life? The answer, in my opinion, is no. The author has just penned a straightforward memoir of those 14 hours. You can see how he obeyed instructions, looked to superiors for orders, you can discern his internal tumult and instinct for self-preservation vying with the requirements of sanity and duty. 

The book also brings to the fore the initial chaos, and how the staff reacted to the challenge, and then rose. It is remarkable indeed in that reactions were not automatic; quite obviously the staff were scared, and were interested in self-preservation. And yet, one can see how slowly and surely sanity and good sense, duty and humanity prevail in the large majority of the staff. Hats off to the staff of the Taj Hotel! You can see into the minds of the people, read the terror - and most importantly, the reaction to terror, and how the Human Spirit succeeds in overwhelming the odds and triumphing over fear.

All in all, this book is a must read for all Indians; it will take you to the Taj during those hours, and leave you with a better understanding. But above all this, the book is about hope, about the indomitable human spirit, about how your mind and body get accustomed to the situation; and the way your being adjusts and then finds additional resources within your own self that propels a person to success. This is a sterling account of victory in the most insurmountable of situations, and  an account that will teach you to believe in yourself.... 

This review is a part of the Book Reviews Program at BlogAdda.com . Participate now to get free books!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PK, The Movie : One Of The Best...

\ PK : A Movie Ahead Of Its Time; A Movie That Is A Very Vital And Current Need! I dont normally review movies; my blog does not lend itself to such an activity, given its positioning as one that asks some tough questions to Indians. I am making an exception for this movie, not because it is a landmark movie {which it is}, but because this movie is also one that asks some pretty blunt, and to some people, offensive questions.  It is rather sad and humbling to see the vigorous protests to this movie, and some cases of active on-street protests and interference in some places. Sad, because there is almost nothing in the content that should excite such actions; and humbling because it is a painful reminder that we as a nation have still a ways to go in our quest for true development! Before I move onto the movie, I have just one question : did the protesters also protest to Haider? If no, you did not find the negative portrayal of The Indian Army objecti

Tarkeshwar Mahadev : Pune Hidden Gems

What do you do when you have something good, something that is praiseworthy, and something that can be an attraction? Answer, if you are in Pune – keep silent about it, tell no one. This is seemingly exaggerated – perhaps it is exaggerated; but I am flabbergasted by a series of unbelievable locations that I have visited in Pune City – within main Pune City, mind you . These are not well known – at least not one single localite informed me, even on asking . At least those I talked. If I didn’t talk to the right people, perhaps I am in the wrong. But – if you expand your vision to TV, Cinema, Popular opinion, hotels – the situation above gets proof. I earlier visited Pune on a family holiday, stayed in a good Hotel. Not one Hotel informed me of these; not one person – Taxi, Tour Guide – even mentioned these . Thus, it seems to me that Puneites don’t realise how lovely a city they have, how mesmerizing are its many, many tourist-worthy places, how rich and unspoiled,

Book Review : Chhatrapati Shivaji

Chhattrapati Shivaji stands as one of the most celebrated medieval heroes in Modern India; it is a name that touches a chord in almost every Indian, and is a powerful force to reckon with even today, three centuries after his death. He is present everywhere you can see; he is one of the few to withstand the onslaught of naming everything in sight after the Nehru family. A Chhatrapati square her, a Shivaji Terminus there – many cities have honoured themselves with some landmark, statue, street or square in his name. Such is his current followership, and so powerful is his presence. This makes reviewing any book related on this personality a big responsibility, a tough task  – and not one to be taken with insincerity, or with bias,  or attitude. I had always thought of The Chhatrapati as a tall personality, a commanding and great Indian; but had never given a thought to the pull, the deep connect and the powerful influence this genius had on me; as I read the current book, as I t