Skip to main content

DETACHMENT: A DISCUSSION ON THE BENEFITS OF THE SHRIMAD BHAGWAD GEETA


DETACHMENT: A DISCUSSION ON THE BENEFITS OF THE SHRIMAD BHAGWAD GEETA


The following is a transcript of my comments on a Whatsapp group where I was invited to share my views on the Shrimad Bhagwad Geeta. This may be a bit disjointed, but I hope it provides some value to the reader…  These articles on The Shrimad Bhagwad Geeta are a true chronicle of my experience as I read it, a true chronicle of the impact it is having; I am grateful to Entrepreneurs Samavesh Group where I presented this or interacted on this as an invite…

Image Source : Instragram, through Google Search for Free Images


BENEFITS FROM READING THE SHRIMAD BHAGWAD GEETA
I do not know how, when, why it {benefits from The Geeta} started; I really have no answers. But what has changed - I am more relaxed; I am getting more firm in my decisions; I am getting to see perspectives and perceptions that were not present earlier; I am getting more and more detached with each passing month - yet more involved in the DUTY I am entrusted with. Most important - Death has ceased to be a worry. Now I can confidently say when it comes, I look forward to it.I can now perceive silence, prefer it in personal life; temper is now almost vanished... but it is an ongoing process

What I can say is that my personal and professional effectivity has enhanced, clarity is beginning to dawn, and I am learning control... It goes deeper; I am feel - at times - that there is a presence; I can recall images - which I have never seen in my life. The human mind cannot manufacture images' thus, there is something else..  I can feel, at some very select times, Oh God, that is hard to explain - a deeper presence; I now want to know that presence; to unite ....I feel a strange detachment that is yet positive and liberating at the same time; or, in other words, one doesnt detach; one realises that other things are more important; one detaches from the results; again - this is hard to explain ...

DETACHMENT
Detachment is being present in ONESELF; detaching from the fruits of action. Doing your job NOT because you get a salary; not coz you want to be no1 ; not coz you want to give family comfort. It means doing your Job because it is your DUTY .... It means being completely truthful; honest; every word you utter should be verifiable truth; it means forgetting / rising above desires; fears; anger; hatred; being internally and externally pure; eating pure food; the list is long… It should make no difference if you are alone or in a crowd.... Situated in self; satisfied; doing everything at every moment to the best of your capability - regardless of results or fear..

The path is hard, but fun to walk!

It means {Detachment} {Being in sync with myself and centred .. – comment by someone else} And devoid of desire, ambition, etc... realising all the external world is immaterial – and is yet important, as the body exists, and is real. So long as the body exists, its needs are real; as are its duties, responsibilities – and this is where The Geeta enables you to focus on your duties towards God, Truth, Nation, Society, Family and Yourself; it teaches you purity of mind & body; internal and external purity; it teaches you how egoistic you are, and provides effective mechanisms to remove Ego, among these tools being Detachment.

WHY DOES THIS DETACHMENT HAPPEN ON READING THE SHRIMAD BHAGWAD GEETA?
It does all of this since  The Geeta operates at a different level entirely – it operates on the Conscious, subconscious, and deeper mind; it operates on all layers of the mind; it goes deeper – as it tackles the core of our behavioural concepts. Why do we behave as we do? Our behavior is determined by our ambitions, our desire, our ego, by what we want to do, what we want etc.  It is our innate desires, or our ego that rules our action; rather than it being the other way around.  {More of this later, as my learning hopefully deepens with time}

What the Geeta says is, you have to stop feeling these desires, fear etc…. just be focused on our responsibilities towards nation, society, family… when we understand that all our actions are actually reactions to external stimuli; what the Geeta says is the core issue is you should react at all, should be angry or a reactive response. This is due to your ahankar, your desires being unfulfilled… thus, without detachment, you just cannot focus on the responsibilities. Detachment allows you to focus on them, as you are not concerned with the results.


THE FULL SENSES AND THEIR ROLE IN DETACHMENT
Man Buddhi Ahankar are the key issues; apart from the other senses – all  23 including above 3 – 5 karmendriya + 5 dnyaanendriya, 5 Bhoot and 5 vishay of the senses. Rag Dvesh Ahankar chhodne ke kiye aasakti chhodni hogi. What you need to leave asakti, to be detached is -  what are your duties in life – towards all, not just self n family, and how you can fulfill them. You should be doing action for the sake your fulfillment of your duties, not as the you desire a particular result. This way, worry or anxiety is curtailed, giving a razor sharp focus on your actions, improving your productivity and performance. When you are completely involved in the task, your focus improves – and the anxiety reduces, which sharpens intellect, buddhi and focuses that as well, leading to advantages.

This discussion I had on whatsapp - It has taught what I DONT know, where I am lacking... and for that, main aap sab kaa aabhaari rahungaa … in  a later article, I will go into my sharing on the same group discussion on Karmyog and the 3 paths….

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PK, The Movie : One Of The Best...

\ PK : A Movie Ahead Of Its Time; A Movie That Is A Very Vital And Current Need! I dont normally review movies; my blog does not lend itself to such an activity, given its positioning as one that asks some tough questions to Indians. I am making an exception for this movie, not because it is a landmark movie {which it is}, but because this movie is also one that asks some pretty blunt, and to some people, offensive questions.  It is rather sad and humbling to see the vigorous protests to this movie, and some cases of active on-street protests and interference in some places. Sad, because there is almost nothing in the content that should excite such actions; and humbling because it is a painful reminder that we as a nation have still a ways to go in our quest for true development! Before I move onto the movie, I have just one question : did the protesters also protest to Haider? If no, you did not find the negative portrayal of The Indian Army objecti

Tarkeshwar Mahadev : Pune Hidden Gems

What do you do when you have something good, something that is praiseworthy, and something that can be an attraction? Answer, if you are in Pune – keep silent about it, tell no one. This is seemingly exaggerated – perhaps it is exaggerated; but I am flabbergasted by a series of unbelievable locations that I have visited in Pune City – within main Pune City, mind you . These are not well known – at least not one single localite informed me, even on asking . At least those I talked. If I didn’t talk to the right people, perhaps I am in the wrong. But – if you expand your vision to TV, Cinema, Popular opinion, hotels – the situation above gets proof. I earlier visited Pune on a family holiday, stayed in a good Hotel. Not one Hotel informed me of these; not one person – Taxi, Tour Guide – even mentioned these . Thus, it seems to me that Puneites don’t realise how lovely a city they have, how mesmerizing are its many, many tourist-worthy places, how rich and unspoiled,

Book Review : Chhatrapati Shivaji

Chhattrapati Shivaji stands as one of the most celebrated medieval heroes in Modern India; it is a name that touches a chord in almost every Indian, and is a powerful force to reckon with even today, three centuries after his death. He is present everywhere you can see; he is one of the few to withstand the onslaught of naming everything in sight after the Nehru family. A Chhatrapati square her, a Shivaji Terminus there – many cities have honoured themselves with some landmark, statue, street or square in his name. Such is his current followership, and so powerful is his presence. This makes reviewing any book related on this personality a big responsibility, a tough task  – and not one to be taken with insincerity, or with bias,  or attitude. I had always thought of The Chhatrapati as a tall personality, a commanding and great Indian; but had never given a thought to the pull, the deep connect and the powerful influence this genius had on me; as I read the current book, as I t