Skip to main content

Reflections From A Storm

It was a lovely Sunday afternoon. I was at home, secure in my knowledge that the rain carrying clouds are of no concern to me. Yes, yes, yes – I know, arrogance, and colossal arrogance at that. Well, it so happens that those are the very words, almost – of those same rain clouds. They, as the passed on top, bethought themselves – what do we have here? An arrogant human. So, lets us attend to his arrogance, shall we. Cant have this arrogance.



Now I have a habit of leaving doors and windows wide open. It lets in light, and makes the home airy you see. And, I do have floor to ceiling windows in my bedroom, and large, large windows in all other rooms. And, the icing on the cake, my home has  North facing windows. To top it all, the wind has never blown North to South in all my 19+ months of stay here. So, I was relaxed, and carefree as the rain started pelting – and I mean pelting! And there I sat, wide open doors and windows, in a pelting rain, enjoying the beauty of the elements and the rain – in a top floor flat.

The upshot of this lovely combination of open doors / windows in an opportune top floor flat with North-South opening Windows n Doors  is that The Clouds and The Rain, seeing my arrogance, called up elder brother Mr. Wind for a smallish conference. The two kid brothers – Cloud n Rain – requested Mr Wind to blow – yes, you got it! North to South. And, with a satisfied smile, they also suggested that Mr Wind also blow nice n  hard with a show of strength. Mr Wind, on learning of my colossal arrogance, happily and readily agreed to give me a small reminder  of the power of the elements. And me, sitting there, blissfully unaware, carefree that I was in a concrete roofed modern apartment, keeping wide open windows in stormy weather,  in a place where the same Wind never ever has blown in North-South direction. The only precaution – move all electronics and other perishables a bit away from the open doors n windows.

And then, mother nature’s first children, M/s Wind, Rain n Clouds set about reminding me that boss, you may  be human, in the 21st century – specifically 2018, with your oh-so-modern developments and what-nots, secure in your self styled genius – but you are just a doll made of soil. The Wind shifted- yes, North – South, aligned perfectly against my {remember – open, wide open} French Windows n Doors. And increased in strength for several notches.

Before I could say Abracadabra, my kitchen door slammed open with full force, and the entire house was a lake. A lake on the top floor of our “modern” apartment that we so gloatingly parade as signs of modernity.  Try as I might, I could not close the pinned door, such was the force. And, by the time I ran to close the French Windows, every single appliance soaking wet, and every single mattress, bedcover, sheets drenched. Thankfully the pillows survived. That’s all it took: 2 – 3 minutes of exposure to the power of nature to reduce all of mankinds so-called development into worthless soaking wet items, as the power was also cut.


As I stood there, looking at the chaos that just 2 minutes of nature had caused in a modern apartment, on the top floor at that, I couldn’t help but wonder at the smallness of humanity, the incomparable greatness of mother nature, and how helpless humanity is in front of it. All of our highly vaunted creations, and it took just a little rain to blow it all away. Just 2 minutes of rain, that is it. And yet, we try to tame nature, and turn it to our advantage, instead of trying to work with it. It brought home to me the fragility of mankind’s science, and the incomparable strength of Mother Nature. And I couldn’t but wonder at the fragility of the existence and base of our civilization and its complete exposure to the vagaries of nature, even in the middle of a metropolis. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PK, The Movie : One Of The Best...

\ PK : A Movie Ahead Of Its Time; A Movie That Is A Very Vital And Current Need! I dont normally review movies; my blog does not lend itself to such an activity, given its positioning as one that asks some tough questions to Indians. I am making an exception for this movie, not because it is a landmark movie {which it is}, but because this movie is also one that asks some pretty blunt, and to some people, offensive questions.  It is rather sad and humbling to see the vigorous protests to this movie, and some cases of active on-street protests and interference in some places. Sad, because there is almost nothing in the content that should excite such actions; and humbling because it is a painful reminder that we as a nation have still a ways to go in our quest for true development! Before I move onto the movie, I have just one question : did the protesters also protest to Haider? If no, you did not find the negative portrayal of The Indian Army objecti

Tarkeshwar Mahadev : Pune Hidden Gems

What do you do when you have something good, something that is praiseworthy, and something that can be an attraction? Answer, if you are in Pune – keep silent about it, tell no one. This is seemingly exaggerated – perhaps it is exaggerated; but I am flabbergasted by a series of unbelievable locations that I have visited in Pune City – within main Pune City, mind you . These are not well known – at least not one single localite informed me, even on asking . At least those I talked. If I didn’t talk to the right people, perhaps I am in the wrong. But – if you expand your vision to TV, Cinema, Popular opinion, hotels – the situation above gets proof. I earlier visited Pune on a family holiday, stayed in a good Hotel. Not one Hotel informed me of these; not one person – Taxi, Tour Guide – even mentioned these . Thus, it seems to me that Puneites don’t realise how lovely a city they have, how mesmerizing are its many, many tourist-worthy places, how rich and unspoiled,

Book Review : Chhatrapati Shivaji

Chhattrapati Shivaji stands as one of the most celebrated medieval heroes in Modern India; it is a name that touches a chord in almost every Indian, and is a powerful force to reckon with even today, three centuries after his death. He is present everywhere you can see; he is one of the few to withstand the onslaught of naming everything in sight after the Nehru family. A Chhatrapati square her, a Shivaji Terminus there – many cities have honoured themselves with some landmark, statue, street or square in his name. Such is his current followership, and so powerful is his presence. This makes reviewing any book related on this personality a big responsibility, a tough task  – and not one to be taken with insincerity, or with bias,  or attitude. I had always thought of The Chhatrapati as a tall personality, a commanding and great Indian; but had never given a thought to the pull, the deep connect and the powerful influence this genius had on me; as I read the current book, as I t