Skip to main content

Speaking From The Heat 3 : Conceptualising A Strategy

In the first week of December of last year I received a question in response to an article I penned: "would be good if a simple method could be created to inculcate it in kids" by a reader from the Corporate World; a question asked nearly 49 days ago, asking how can we ensure that our children get these habits ingrained in them. I had no answer then; I still dont - but I am beginning to get closer to an answer, which I will pen in today's write-up.... The article in question is Speaking From The Heart - 2 : SkillsRequired, Path, Pluses and Minuses....



MAKING SENSE OF THE PATH: THE BEGINNINGS
Here, when I say “The Path” I refer to the transformation from flippant, frivolous, or double meaning, or downright false uncaring speech to one of strong character, morals, values and absolute truth. If we are to get to unlocking the answer to the question asked above, the first and foremost requirement becomes understanding the transformation, and learning lessons from; thereafter the problem gets reduced to a simple question of drawing conceptual learnings from the experience, and charting a set of paths {you will need multiple stratetem; humanity is diverse}…

In my case, there was always a strong value & morals conflict within me whenever I had to lie, or be flippant or whatever, and for any reason whatsoever. Even if it meant lying {or being economical with the truth} in Business, it would hurt. And hurt bad. Even when I lied, or said things / promises I didn’t mean to keep – it would hit me hard later on, after I said it. I could not forget my words, or stop blaming myself for not being untruthful, and called myself a coward. In the real world, you come across many such situations – your friend / colleague calls you over – you say yes without no intention of going; your vendor / supplier / partner negotiations are going on – you obviously cant be open about all things. And so on and so forth.

SECTION ONE : THE INTERNAL CONFLICTS
In the previous article, I have already laid down The Path and its travails in quite some detail; it is not an easy path by any means. And these internal conflicts don’t make it easier – as you start down the path, the struggle gets harder, your internal voices get stronger; your anxiety, worry gets overpowering – as you curse yourself for some of your decisions and statements. Earlier, lying or the rest of it never had these problems; but now, as you move towards purity, you get ripped apart into two. Your overpowering first voice – the voice born out of your conscious mind, or your ego+desires+ambitions creates constant questions, while your internal voice isn’t strong enough to cater to these questions.

The path, in my case, started on its own; I was increasingly finding it impossible to be anything but completely transparent, as the transformation started at a deeper subconscious level. It took a while for me to understand the real source of my conflict – which was a straight conflict between my actions and my internal value system – a value system that left no space for anything except completely morality, satgun and truthfulness, integrity. The traversing of the “apparent” real external world which would cause me to do things, or confront me with choices that forced me to choose  options in complete opposition to my internal value system caused intense stress. {Why do I say apparent? Follow my blog; is the world around us real or apparent – do think}…

SECTION TWO: NAVIGATING THE REAL WORLD
Let us be frank – completely, brutally honest  now. We live in a world where values are considered either old-fashioned – or people never think about values, doing all in their power for self and family, without stopping a moment to think of the rightness and morality of their actions, guided by self benefit, and contained by the rule of law. Any number of scams in corporate India bear mute testimony to this, and the fallibility of the human to succumb to material temptation. I don’t mean all are like that; but the above cannot be denied, for it is just the harsh unvarnished truth. Even if peope stay within the law, their deeds and words are focused towards achieving self_benefit.

The modern corporate relationship system taps into this self benefit habit beautifully, by attempting to craft lovely meaningless thingamajigs like “KRAs” that try to align employee self-benefits to the role. This, quite apart from being a waste of resources and a drag on productivity {as most of these aren’t thought through properly for their real long term impact}, is also difficult to manage, as employee wants are notoriously hard to align with corporate goals. Thus, it is a foregone conclusion that a more meaningful, practical approach to this will certainly yield strong benefits once employee and -er are aligned. Quite a few small companies have proven this; the issues arise in scaling up. But I get ahead of myself; let us leave this thought process, tantalizing though it may be, here. Why are they {KRAs} meaningless in many systems? Again, please follow my writings – my Corporate India series will go into it in detail, analyzing why and how following these – aah- KRAs has destroyed value for organisations, with facts and figures. One such Case Study already penned on my blog. The question I asked 14 years ago to my HR stands – who will measure the efficacy of these?

The modern personal relationship system again beautifully adjusts to this modern habit by choosing to ignore, or take words and actions as flippant, washing over the inconsistencies. This isn’t hard; for each person is a relationship is the precise same. Thus, the system works; it cracks apart when one person begins to operate on a different paradigm. From the point of view of the “practical” person, this is mystifying behaviour; for he or she doesn’t set much store by these things, and dismisses it as small. This practical person is adjusted; the fact is that Mr Morals-And-Values isn’t adjusted. This person is an outlier, a person not in touch the real world. That is the hard fact.

SECTION THREE: CONCEPTUALISING THIS LEARNING INTO A TACTICAL METHOD
We have seen in Section 1 the internal conflicts, and the modern reality in professional and personal space in section 2. The first learning from putting these two together is that you, Mr or Ms or Mrs Morals-And-Values, are the odd one out. No reason to feel either inferior, or superior; that is just the way you are. Feeling either of these two is wrong : superior – and your adjustment ability goes down; inferior, and your anxieties and worry goes up. The answer lies in simple acceptance of who or what you are, and being comfortable in your skin. Your life is yours, theirs is theirs. At this juncture, we can now proceed on finding ways to navigate the real world without significant compromise – a subject to be dealt  with later on in this Heart series.

Now, the question asked was – how can we inculcate this in our Children? The answer becomes apparent from the entire analyses above. The bedrock of all our actions, words, deeds is the Value-Belief system that we all possess. The first and non-negotiable step that all of us must take is attempt to inculcate the optimal value system right from birth : Truth, Honesty, Integrity, Impeccable Morality & Fairness above all else; society above self and so on. In its place, we as a society teach uncompromising competitiveness even at the cost of truth and fairness, which is a known and sad fact. We teach our children to be practical, realistic – rather than be truthful etc.

I say this since the entire story for me started in my feeling of intense discomfort internally, even when I lied just so as not to hurt someone I loved. The next learning one has is the abilities required to navigate the real world – acceptance, self-confidence, adaptability, internal strength to fight the odds, tact. And the third step is a strong spiritual grounding, without which the most important characteristics of all do not develop – resilience and resolve. Why do I say this? Answer : in my darkest moments of self-doubt, it was my spiritual binding that kept my resolve, as I repeatedly realized my steps and actions weren’t wrong. I increasingly got stressed not by external rejections – but when my actions weren’t in keeping with my values and morals. Losses stopped mattering, but loss of values become the strongest.


I don’t claim to have arrived-  this is a path for me as much as for you. I still fail; but whenever I do fail : I try and sit up, stand, and start walking again. And that is the last learning our children need. Can we inculcate these learnings? And the bigger question, again asked my a reader {one of my gurus, in fact} – why should we do these things, steps? And the automatic question that arises from navigation : what “practical” advantages can we glean from this practice? What about Business – is it feasible to operate in this mode in corporates {oh yes, it is a conscious choice at later stages as I am now beginning to realise}? These questions will be attended to in later parts of this ongoing self-introspection…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PK, The Movie : One Of The Best...

\ PK : A Movie Ahead Of Its Time; A Movie That Is A Very Vital And Current Need! I dont normally review movies; my blog does not lend itself to such an activity, given its positioning as one that asks some tough questions to Indians. I am making an exception for this movie, not because it is a landmark movie {which it is}, but because this movie is also one that asks some pretty blunt, and to some people, offensive questions.  It is rather sad and humbling to see the vigorous protests to this movie, and some cases of active on-street protests and interference in some places. Sad, because there is almost nothing in the content that should excite such actions; and humbling because it is a painful reminder that we as a nation have still a ways to go in our quest for true development! Before I move onto the movie, I have just one question : did the protesters also protest to Haider? If no, you did not find the negative portrayal of The Indian Army objecti

Tarkeshwar Mahadev : Pune Hidden Gems

What do you do when you have something good, something that is praiseworthy, and something that can be an attraction? Answer, if you are in Pune – keep silent about it, tell no one. This is seemingly exaggerated – perhaps it is exaggerated; but I am flabbergasted by a series of unbelievable locations that I have visited in Pune City – within main Pune City, mind you . These are not well known – at least not one single localite informed me, even on asking . At least those I talked. If I didn’t talk to the right people, perhaps I am in the wrong. But – if you expand your vision to TV, Cinema, Popular opinion, hotels – the situation above gets proof. I earlier visited Pune on a family holiday, stayed in a good Hotel. Not one Hotel informed me of these; not one person – Taxi, Tour Guide – even mentioned these . Thus, it seems to me that Puneites don’t realise how lovely a city they have, how mesmerizing are its many, many tourist-worthy places, how rich and unspoiled,

Book Review : Chhatrapati Shivaji

Chhattrapati Shivaji stands as one of the most celebrated medieval heroes in Modern India; it is a name that touches a chord in almost every Indian, and is a powerful force to reckon with even today, three centuries after his death. He is present everywhere you can see; he is one of the few to withstand the onslaught of naming everything in sight after the Nehru family. A Chhatrapati square her, a Shivaji Terminus there – many cities have honoured themselves with some landmark, statue, street or square in his name. Such is his current followership, and so powerful is his presence. This makes reviewing any book related on this personality a big responsibility, a tough task  – and not one to be taken with insincerity, or with bias,  or attitude. I had always thought of The Chhatrapati as a tall personality, a commanding and great Indian; but had never given a thought to the pull, the deep connect and the powerful influence this genius had on me; as I read the current book, as I t