Skip to main content

Ayodhya Kaa Rajaa, Indore

Ayodhya Kaa Raajaa, Indore

Mumbai is known as the land of Ganesh Festival - rightly so. There is no town in India that can match the fervor and the sheer scale and joy of The Ganeshji Season in Mumbai; pages and volumes have been written about the Mumbai festival, and its gaiety; its images are now part of our folklore almost, an integral part of India, such is the joy and the magnificence of the festivities at Mumbai. 

But India exists outside Mumbai; and I recently {yesterday as a matter of fact} noticed a Ganeshji Pandal in Indore that literally took my breath away, despite having been in Mumbai since 2012 June. I could recall nothing of this sort anywhere in India {this is not to state that something like this does not happen elsewhere : India is way too large for that to happen}. 

It occurred to me that this is something that India should know; and I hope more people like me from other parts of India also highlight the beauty and unique aspects of our culture, our country, our festivities and our celebrations so that the beauty can be seen and observed by all Indians. This is a first effort for me, so any lack in clarity of images will, I hope, be overlooked by readers. 

The snaps have been taken with a Nokia Lumia 720 in autofocus mode; it has a flash, and a 6.7 MP camera. These were taken in overcast conditions at around 6:00 PM during the daytime. Any advice on how to improve the snaps and my photography is also more than welcome... I hope everyone enjoys the beauty and scale of this magnificent Ganeshji Pandal. This was at Dussehra Maidan, Annapurna Road, Indore

The entire structure is temporary; it is built on a wood plank foundation, and has a bamboo framework, with the rest being built with judicious use of cloth and thermocol. That is it. Of note is the strength and the durability of this structure, as it handles the load of thousands of pilgrims from all over Indore {maybe from nearby towns too, you never do know}. Of further note is the internal decorations used to decorate the Pandal, as well as the temporary mini garden in front of the massive pandal... enjoy the images...








 

{Following single image taken from google I was unable to capture a clear image on my camera 
********************


******************** 













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PK, The Movie : One Of The Best...

\ PK : A Movie Ahead Of Its Time; A Movie That Is A Very Vital And Current Need! I dont normally review movies; my blog does not lend itself to such an activity, given its positioning as one that asks some tough questions to Indians. I am making an exception for this movie, not because it is a landmark movie {which it is}, but because this movie is also one that asks some pretty blunt, and to some people, offensive questions.  It is rather sad and humbling to see the vigorous protests to this movie, and some cases of active on-street protests and interference in some places. Sad, because there is almost nothing in the content that should excite such actions; and humbling because it is a painful reminder that we as a nation have still a ways to go in our quest for true development! Before I move onto the movie, I have just one question : did the protesters also protest to Haider? If no, you did not find the negative portrayal of The Indian Army objecti

Tarkeshwar Mahadev : Pune Hidden Gems

What do you do when you have something good, something that is praiseworthy, and something that can be an attraction? Answer, if you are in Pune – keep silent about it, tell no one. This is seemingly exaggerated – perhaps it is exaggerated; but I am flabbergasted by a series of unbelievable locations that I have visited in Pune City – within main Pune City, mind you . These are not well known – at least not one single localite informed me, even on asking . At least those I talked. If I didn’t talk to the right people, perhaps I am in the wrong. But – if you expand your vision to TV, Cinema, Popular opinion, hotels – the situation above gets proof. I earlier visited Pune on a family holiday, stayed in a good Hotel. Not one Hotel informed me of these; not one person – Taxi, Tour Guide – even mentioned these . Thus, it seems to me that Puneites don’t realise how lovely a city they have, how mesmerizing are its many, many tourist-worthy places, how rich and unspoiled,

Book Review : Chhatrapati Shivaji

Chhattrapati Shivaji stands as one of the most celebrated medieval heroes in Modern India; it is a name that touches a chord in almost every Indian, and is a powerful force to reckon with even today, three centuries after his death. He is present everywhere you can see; he is one of the few to withstand the onslaught of naming everything in sight after the Nehru family. A Chhatrapati square her, a Shivaji Terminus there – many cities have honoured themselves with some landmark, statue, street or square in his name. Such is his current followership, and so powerful is his presence. This makes reviewing any book related on this personality a big responsibility, a tough task  – and not one to be taken with insincerity, or with bias,  or attitude. I had always thought of The Chhatrapati as a tall personality, a commanding and great Indian; but had never given a thought to the pull, the deep connect and the powerful influence this genius had on me; as I read the current book, as I t