Skip to main content

Seperating ’I’ From ‘My Body - Sanaatan Dharm Series


First of all – don’t read too much into the title; “Seperating ’I’ From ‘My Body’” refers to a level of consciousness, a level of “being” that brings with itself a certain calmness, self-control and insight, as well as confidence. This article is the next in the Sanaatan Dharm Series, and constitiutes the next in the Consciousness sub-series, of which the first appeared on my blog in August as “TheThree Levels of Consciousness”, wherein I had alluded to this 3rd deeper level.



Now please understand this is a true documentation of my self-examination, and I am learning as much as you, my readers. I don’t lay claim to expertise – most books are by Gurus and experts, and I have found a lack of material that can guide me as to what this path is, that is implied by our scriptures, and how do we grow through meditation, through abhyaas, through Yog? Thus, I use these articles to document my mental and physical -as well as spiritual experiences, and indeed failures, as I try my level best to develop myself. Stay with this series if this adds value to you.

UNDERSTANDING THE THIRD LEVEL
In the previous article, I had stated : “As we shall see in the next part of this series, whenever I get around to penning it, this 3rd level is extremely hard to put into words, let alone understand. And yet – it is there, it is present, as you yourself have no doubt realized in the quiet contemplative moments of your life. This is a level that transcends fear, desire and existence; and goes to the core of the intersection of Psychology and Scriptures – as we shall see in the next part of this series of personal thoughts on Sanaatan Dharm…

The 3rd level is one which is beyond your desires, ambitions, fears, attitude, actions, beliefs etc… it is a state of “being” wherein you are one with your heart, mind, conscience : when all these and your senses organs think, feel, speak the same things; there is no duality. When all these 8-10 aspects of your physical presence align; when you are physically pure and internally pure or devoid of all impurity in thought, deeds, impressions; when you recognize your frailties and accept them; when your ego gets under control – THEN, you come close to a glimpse of this deeper 3rd Level.

At that point in time – your heart region will feel heavier – yet lighter; you will feel, actually – physically feel some kind of manifestation that occurs for a split second; if your eyes are closed – you might see flashes or light of some kind, which will be for a split second. And the key is that you cannot will these physical manifestations to re-occur at will, as once this state of “being” passes, your ego returns, your ambitions and fears return; the pull of maya captures you again – and you are not in as pure a state as you were then. How can you attain this? For me, it has taken abhyaas, as given in the Geeta, regularly and strictly as far as is possible, for nearly 3.5 – 4 years now.

Initially, it was hard to control my mind; it was exceptionally hard to not let me mind waver. My mouth would be speaking the words of the prayers, but my mind would not. 50% of the time, my mind would play truant. Fear of quitting was one reason I didn’t stop; sheer chance another; that I loved reading the Geeta and the various Upanishads was a third reason. But slowly, over time, changes starting manifesting themselves. These changes are being observed by me only now; this has given me more motivation to keep doing what I do, and keep trying to purify myself internally as well as externally as instructed in the Geeta and in the Upanishadic texts.

AT THE THIRD LEVEL
And, once you start touching the 3rd level of consciousness – about 9 months into it now, and I haven’t been able to hold it for more than a few minutes – you slowly realise the real you. A true you, an “I” that is acutely conscious of a simple truism – you start looking at your body as independent from yourself; as a mere tool to achieve the purpose for which you took its refuge. Your mind’s wavering begins slowing, concentration begins to improve, personal effectiveness shows an uptick; and, if you are focused enough – you can actually visualize yourself as separate from the body, which is but a physical realm, a temporary manifestation of Maya.

By focus I don’t mean focus on the end – objective, which is realizing the true “I”; I mean focusing on purity internally and externally – forgetting your fears, forgetting your desires; rising above and controlling your ambitions; consciously not wanting to hurt anyone; focusing on the truth; focusing on morality, ethics; focusing on your duties – all of this is what constitutes “focus”. Focus does not mean just focusing during your meditation, or during your time when you are reading the scriptures.

AND NOW – “I”
As I stated above, you will slowly be conscious of a deeper level of presence, of consciousness, or of being – the physical manifestations of which I have described above as I am now beginning to feel them.  At that point in time – at that point of “being” – we can then see the true “I”. The initial “I” will only be a brief, rough presence, to be experienced, felt and realized; extremely hard, nay -  impossible, to describe in any amount of detail. It maybe a hallucination – but I don’t think so – for realizing this “I” places your mind slowly in your control, as its vacillations fade. Understanding this deeper, real “I” is the subject of my next article in this series – whenever I can get around to penning it… or whenever I realise it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PK, The Movie : One Of The Best...

\ PK : A Movie Ahead Of Its Time; A Movie That Is A Very Vital And Current Need! I dont normally review movies; my blog does not lend itself to such an activity, given its positioning as one that asks some tough questions to Indians. I am making an exception for this movie, not because it is a landmark movie {which it is}, but because this movie is also one that asks some pretty blunt, and to some people, offensive questions.  It is rather sad and humbling to see the vigorous protests to this movie, and some cases of active on-street protests and interference in some places. Sad, because there is almost nothing in the content that should excite such actions; and humbling because it is a painful reminder that we as a nation have still a ways to go in our quest for true development! Before I move onto the movie, I have just one question : did the protesters also protest to Haider? If no, you did not find the negative portrayal of The Indian Army objecti

Tarkeshwar Mahadev : Pune Hidden Gems

What do you do when you have something good, something that is praiseworthy, and something that can be an attraction? Answer, if you are in Pune – keep silent about it, tell no one. This is seemingly exaggerated – perhaps it is exaggerated; but I am flabbergasted by a series of unbelievable locations that I have visited in Pune City – within main Pune City, mind you . These are not well known – at least not one single localite informed me, even on asking . At least those I talked. If I didn’t talk to the right people, perhaps I am in the wrong. But – if you expand your vision to TV, Cinema, Popular opinion, hotels – the situation above gets proof. I earlier visited Pune on a family holiday, stayed in a good Hotel. Not one Hotel informed me of these; not one person – Taxi, Tour Guide – even mentioned these . Thus, it seems to me that Puneites don’t realise how lovely a city they have, how mesmerizing are its many, many tourist-worthy places, how rich and unspoiled,

Book Review : Chhatrapati Shivaji

Chhattrapati Shivaji stands as one of the most celebrated medieval heroes in Modern India; it is a name that touches a chord in almost every Indian, and is a powerful force to reckon with even today, three centuries after his death. He is present everywhere you can see; he is one of the few to withstand the onslaught of naming everything in sight after the Nehru family. A Chhatrapati square her, a Shivaji Terminus there – many cities have honoured themselves with some landmark, statue, street or square in his name. Such is his current followership, and so powerful is his presence. This makes reviewing any book related on this personality a big responsibility, a tough task  – and not one to be taken with insincerity, or with bias,  or attitude. I had always thought of The Chhatrapati as a tall personality, a commanding and great Indian; but had never given a thought to the pull, the deep connect and the powerful influence this genius had on me; as I read the current book, as I t